Sweet Potato Brownies
Brownies are an all time favourtie. In my earlier cooking days I used to make these delicious super food brownies with oats, almonds, raisins, cinnamon, cacao and cayenne pepper. Now, whenever I make home made almond milk, I use the leftover almond meal to make these simple yet delicious brownies.
I have recently come across the vegan blogger deliciously Ella and she talks so fondly of her all time favourite sweet potato brownies. I decided to try these out. Since Ella uses alternative flours, of which some are not paleo, I searched for a Paleo sweet potato brownie recipe and found the below recipe from paleogrubs.com. I haven’t modified this recipe much since the recipe is quite simple and straight forward.
The result is a moist and delicious brownie. I prefer these brownies cold from the fridge as I really like the gooey texture. If you perhaps prefer a drier brownie, try this recipe instead.
P.S. As a suggestion don’t tell your guests the secret ingredient (sweet potato) in these brownies, let them try it out first ;)
- 1 medium sized peeled sweet potato
- 1 cup ground almonds (intrita pura)
- 7 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 10 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Steam the sweet potato until it is fork tender.
- Pre-heat the oven on medium heat.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked through, let cool for a few minutes. Then blend the sweet potato using an immersion blender or food processor to a puree consistency.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with honey. Add the coconut oil and mix lightly.
- Add the sweet potato puree and mix to combine.
- Add the almond meal and cacao powder and mix everything until well combined.
- Pour batter into a pan covered with baking paper. Bake for 25 minutes. Do not overcook. They should be slightly springy when touched on the outside and still a bit gooey in the middle.
- Leave the brownies to cool in the pan, then transfer on to a cooling rack. Cut into portions once completely cool.
- Batter yields 16 small size brownies. If you want to take these for breakfast, you would take two brownies.
5 thoughts on “Sweet Potato Brownies”
What can I use instead of ground almonds please as I’m allergic to nuts?
Hello Analiza, Ground almonds can be replaced by any flour. You can use coconut flour, arrowroot or tapioca if you want a Paleo alternative. If using arrowroot or tapioca I would use less of the amount since those are really starchy. Otherwise, if you can tolerate grains or gluten you can use normal flour, ground oats or chickpea flour. I hope one of this works for you :)
Thanks a lot :)
Let us know how they turn out and what you use! :)
these were really awesome. became a hit in the office!