Creating healthier alternatives is one of my mottos. I believe that part of the motivation of a “diet” is in finding happiness in what you do. I refer to “diet” in quotes, as I want to refer to the lifestyle choice one undergoes when it comes to food as opposed to the westernized terminology where one understands it to be deprivation, sacrifices and boredom of food. In fact people most often ask me how I manage to carry such a lifestyle and one of the top reasons I answer back is the passion I have for it. I consider real food to be highly satisfying and interesting to manage. Although conventional food may appear tastier for some, I have started to perceive it is fake food and prefer the taste of my healthier alternatives. Try my bounty or snickers version and you will know, although this is a gradual change and taste buds cannot be changed overnight. It does not mean that I do not consume conventional foods occasionally but I can vow I prefer my creations way better :)
This watermelon cooler is a great sweet drink idea for those wishing to cut on the calories. I enjoy taking it with me at barbecues instead of beer. As I like to say, part of going on a healthy diet is not deprivation but in finding other healthier alternatives. It is also great to take with you at the beach.
- 300g watermelon
- 2 cups water
- 5 basil leaves
- some fresh ginger (optional)
- Deseed the watermelon completely (this is the hardest part :) and add to a liquidizer / blender together with the other ingredients.
- Liquidize completely. This will take a few seconds as the watermelon will become liquid immediately.
- There is no need to strain! Just use a funnel to store drink in bottles.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour and enjoy!