This is a very easy vegan and Paleo ice cream recipe which I remember by heart. I have come across the recipe on a magazine which was distributed with Times of Malta around three weeks ago. Being vegan and paleo, such recipe is ideal for everyone and I can assure you this one is a crowd pleaser! It is also good for those tricky dinner guests who are either vegan, lactose intolerant, coeliac or gluten intolerant.
You don’t need an ice cream machine to make this, but if you do you can always use it to make the process faster. I didn’t use one in fact and the ice cream turned out creamy just the same. It got hard in our freezer after some time so I just get it out one hour or more before I need it. Last time I also placed it in the fridge around eight hours before I needed it and it was perfect by the time I got to serve it.
So storing depends on when you plan to use the ice cream. If you want to have a cup of ice cream every day, I would suggest to store it in separate cups and just take one out of the freezer some time before consuming. If on the other hand you will be serving it to four or more people at a time, you can just take out the whole container out of the freezer eight hours before and store in the fridge or one and a half hours before leaving it at room temperature. You could experiment and find your own method, the ice creamwon’t melt really quickly if it has been in the freezer for more than eight hours.
The method below explains how to make this ice cream without using an ice cream machine.
- If you are not using medjool dates, which are already soft, I suggest to soften your dates in some hot water for 30 mins before, discarding the water before using. This will allow them to blend easily.
- Blend the milk and dates in a food processor, or using an immersion blender until you get a slurry consistency.
- Blend in the remaining ingredients until you have an even consistency.
- If you have an ice cream machine you can use the mixture as is for around 20 minutes or as directed on the machine instructions.
- If you do not have an ice cream machine, place the mixture inside a sealable container and freeze for the next two hours, stir the mixture well with a spoon every half an hour.
- If storing the ice cream in separate cups, do this after the first two hours and allow to freeze again. The ice cream will be ready for immediate serving in two more hours.
- Remember to pull the ice cream out of the freezer some time before serving if stored for over 4 hours in total. Enjoy!