Vegan Paleo Cheese Cake
This three layer cheesecake is quick to do and requires no baking. You would need to soak the cashews in advance, which is the only effort required :) For best results, soak the cashews in the morning if you wish to prepare the recipe in the evening, or overnight if you wish to make the recipe in the morning. Extra soaking time won’t effect the recipe outcome so don’t worry if your timing is not precise, but for the cashews to become creamy they need a good soak. You wouldn’t have the same outcome if you used dry cashews. If you have leftover soaked cashews you can also try this delicious vegan cheese to accompany savoury dishes.
This raw cake requires storage inside a refrigerator, making it a great summer treat. But not only, the weather in Malta is still hot right now, and I found this cake perfect for snacking or breakfast. It would also make a great Sunday dessert, if only it lasted that long! ;)
As for the top layer, you can be creative and use any favourite fruit of your choice. I have used mixed berries but you can use just strawberries, mango, blueberries etc.
- 1 ½ cup dates
- 1 cup freshly roasted almonds
- 2 cups soaked raw cashews (minimum 4 hours soaking, the longer the better)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- some powdered vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups frozen berries
- 1 banana
- lemon zest (optional)
- Pre-soak the cashews overnight or at least for four hours prior to starting the recipe.
- Soak the dates in plenty of hot water unless you are using soft medjool dates. The water will soften the dates making it easy to work with.
- Start preparing the base layer first by blending the almonds in a food processor. You can either finely grind or leave to a chunky consistency depending on your liking.
- Add the dates to the ground almonds and blend until well incorporated.
- Layer the base mixture at the bottom of a loose base tin (I used an 8 inch pan) and press with fingers to layer evenly. Place inside the freezer for the time required to finish the next process.
- Meanwhile blend the cashew cheese layer inside a clean food processor until smooth. Then layer on top of the date mixture and place inside freezer again.
- Without cleaning the food processor from the cashew mixture, add the berry layer ingredients and blend until pureed. Then layer this mixture on top of the cashew cheese.
- Freeze for at least one hour for the cake to set. Alternatively store in fridge for a couple of hours or until ready to serve. You can top with some lemon zest for added decoration and taste.
- It will keep fresh for 5 days if stored in the fridge.
- This recipe can also be frozen, which is especially good if you make a double batch and want to extend the consumption life. Always remove from the freezer at least one hour before serving.
- Recipe yields 8 good sized portions.