This is a super easy sweet potato chips recipe that you can make any time instead of conventional chips. For this recipe I have used white sweet potatoes which are grown locally in Malta. They are cheaper than normal sweet potatoes and we prefer their taste better than the orange ones. They are less strong making them taste similar to normal potatoes but with less starch. Below is a picture of these white type of sweet potatoes.
These white fleshed sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A, a good source of vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid and vitamin B6. Additionally, they are a good source of potassium, dietary fiber, niacin, vitamin B1, vitamin B2 and phosphorus (source).
The final product was a quite satisfying experience. The same recipe however can be used with all type of sweet potatoes.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground fenugreek (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat grill or otherwise oven at 200°C.
- Cut the sweet potato in strips and place in a clean plastic bag.
- Add the olive oil, close the plastic bag and shake to evenly distribute the oil on the sweet potatoes.
- Add in the remaining spices and seasoning and mix well by shaking the bag.
- Place on oven tray, preferably onto baking paper and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes turning the potatoes half way through.
- Enjoy as a side or as a snack.