Strawberry Cheese Cake
A really simple but delicious cheese cake recipe that can be made in no time if the ingredients are prepared in advance. This cake is vegan, Paleo, raw, gluten free and lactose-free, making it great for everyone!
I loved how this raw cake turned out. The sweet strawberries created an ice-cream like, cake that we really enjoyed eating. The cake can be made with any berries but since strawberries are in peak season right now in Malta, I thought it was the best time to try this.
After soaking, the cashew nuts will look like this:
Base layer after storing in the freezer:
Cheese cake ingredients before mixing the strawberries:
Cheese cake mixture before setting:
- 1 cup dates (145g)
- 1 cup sunflower seeds (140g) or any nuts
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (16g)
- Soak the cashew nuts in water 8 hours. Leaving overnight or longer is ok.
- When starting the recipe soak the dates in some hot water to soften if needed.
- Start making the base by blending the sunflower seeds or nuts until powdered. Then add in the dates (drained) and flax seeds and mix until well combined using a food processor.
- Layer the base ingredients at the bottom of a loose base cake tin and press using hands until an even layer is formed. You can dampen your hands with water to create a smoother surface.
- Place base inside the freezer to set.
- For the 'cheese cake', drain the cashew nuts from any excess water and place inside a clean food processor. Blend the cashew nuts until smooth.
- Add in the creamed coconut, vanilla and honey and blend until well combined.
- Add in the strawberries and blend until the red strawberry colour is well incorporated.
- Place the cheese cake layer on top of the base and store for a further 4 hours inside freezer until solid. Then store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- For longer preserving store in the freezer and defrost inside fridge on the day of consumption.
- Enjoy :)
- If the strawberries are not ripe, you might want to add more honey or maple syrup.
- Medjool dates are the best kind of dates for a sweet cake. These do not need soaking in hot water.