Spinach and Ricotta Pie (Healthy, Gluten & Grain Free)
Finally a guilt free pie! Wow, this was a dinner I was really looking forward to. The dough is very easy to make and you can use it for any other filling.
Spinach and Ricotta Pie
For the pie crust
- 3 cups pure ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- dash of sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
For the filling
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 green garlic, sliced
- 1 medium onion,chopped
- 300g fresh spinach leaves
- 300g ricotta
- 1 egg
- ground nutmeg
- cayanne chilly pepper
- ground pepper
- 2 sliced tomatoes for garnish
- optional: 2 slices back bacon or 2 anchovies
- optional: sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200/220°C. The temperature may vary between ovens, I used 220°C for a large gas oven.
- To prepare the pie crust, blend the ground almonds, thyme and sea salt in a food processor with 'S' blade.
- Add egg and half of the olive oil and switch on the food processor. Then gently pour in the remaining olive oil while processor is running. A dough ball will be formed.
- Cover a 12 inch pie dish with some baking paper and gently press half of the dough at the bottom of the dish using your hands. Use the remaining dough to cover the remaining of the base and the sides. Set dough aside.
- Switch on a frying pan and sauté the onions in coconut oil. When onions are golden, add in the sliced garlic.
- Start adding the spinach to pan breaking it into smaller pieces using your hands.
- Add some ground nutmeg and cayenne chilly pepper and stir continually.
- Finely slice the bacon or anchovies, if using, and add to the pan.
- When spinach has been cooked through remove pan from heat.
- Add the ricotta, egg and pepper to the spinach and mix well.
- Place the spinach and ricotta mixture evenly into the pie crust and cover with sliced tomatoes. Add sesame seeds on top if desired.
- Bake pie in oven for 20/25 minutes. The surface crust will cook before the base crust, thus allow the edges to lightly brown before removing from oven. Enjoy!
Rody's Hearty Corner http://www.rodysheartycorner.com/