Spicy Pineapple Chutney
What is the holiday season without some home made chutney to serve over meats, platters, bread and entrees. I came came up with a very simple chutney recipe you could serve with your holiday roasts. It would also be great with some cheese platter or in any homemade burger bun.
- 1 big ripe pineapple
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small chilly
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon fresh ginger
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup honey, maple syrup or both
- warm water to add as needed
- Finely chop the onion, chilly, ginger and pineapple. I left the pineapple quite chunky but you can chop it in small pieces for a finer outcome.
- Stir fry the onion, ginger, cumin and chilly for 5 minutes.
- Then add apple cider vinegar and stir fry until almost all is evaporated.
- Add the pineapple, honey and lemon juice, cover and simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes. You need to stir from time to time. Add water when you think the mixture is too dry. I used almost 500ml of water throughout the whole process.
- When finished, allow to cool and store in glass jugs. I had two jugs of the above size.