Savoury balls with Lemon and Chive Dressing
These balls are similar to falafel however without chickpeas. They can be served as a salad, as appetizers or snack or can be used inside a wrap. The balls are vegan as there are no eggs and the binding ingredient are the flax seeds.
The dressing is a great alternative to mayo and I suggest you try it out to make your salads more interesting.
- 2 medium carrots
- 4 large mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- 50g flax seeds
- 150g sunflower seeds
- 150g pistachio nuts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup greek yoghurt
- 4 fresh chive leaves
- ¼ lemon
- Soak the sunflower seeds and flaxseeds in water for at least two hours. Then rinse under running water.
- Preheat oven at 180°C.
- Blend the carrots, mushrooms, onions in a food processor until finely diced.
- Add the seeds and remaining ingredients and blend well until you have a soft even consistency and the seeds have broken down.
- Start forming balls using the palm of your hands and place on tray with baking paper. I had 21 balls.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Then turn over and bake for a further 10 minutes. Cooking depends on oven so check them out. They might need less or more time.
- While the balls are cooking, take the greek yogurt and add zest and juice of ¼ lemon. Chop the chives and stir them in greek yoghurt. Keep some extra for garnish.
- Serve with salad, bread or as a snack and sprinkle with remaining chives.