This is not an actual pad Thai, but a pad Thai inspired salad. Pad Thai is a common street food dish in Thailand. It is usually made with rice noodles, cabbage, carrots, sprouts, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, tamarind paste, spring onions, prawns or chicken and an egg. All the ingredients are stir fried together and then served with crushed peanuts, chili and fresh lime wedges. I long for the pleasure of having this dish from the street food stalls in Thailand who actually serve better tasting Pad Thai than restaurants. Here is a video that we took in Thailand of a lady cooking pad Thai in a small food stall.
Being a raw dish this is quick, fresh and healthy; perfect for the summer months. You could add any protein of your choice such as prawns or chicken. I do not suggest cooking the cabbage so that it remains crisp.
- ½ a common cabbage head
- ½ red cabbage head
- 1 scallion / spring onion
- 1/3 cup roasted cashew nuts
- 1 large carrot
- 1 red pepper
- 2 lime wedges
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon tamarind soy sauce
- handful of fresh coriander or parsley
- Optional: sprouts of your choice
- Take both cabbage half’s and cut them in thin strips. Separate the cabbage layers using your hands and place in a large bowl.
- De-skin the carrot and shred using a grater. Place in the same bowl.
- Add fresh coriander or parsley, sliced red bell pepper and mix vegetables together.
- Mix the apple cider vinegar, honey, soy sauce and chili in a cup and combine well with a teaspoon. Add to the veggie mixture and mix well.
- Divide the salad between three plates and then dress with sliced shallot, cashew nuts and lime wedges. Add also any sprouts of your choice if available. Always choose fresh rather than canned sprouts. …you can grow your own sprouts very easily (click here for instructions)