Raw Chocolate Truffles
This is a quick yet very interesting recipe. These raw cacao truffles are soft and delicious. A perfect gift or treat this festive season or any other occasion. They are super easy with nuts and use dates as a sweetener. A great healthier alternative!
I find it therapeutic to roll these sweets however since the mixture is quite gooey I wash my hands after rolling ten of them. In this way, less dough sticks to the hands.
I went a step further and made sure each ball had a perfect size. I weighed the chocolate truffles to be 20g each, but this is not a required step :)
These balls are called truffles as they resemble the shape of the truffle fungi, they do not contain any truffles. This name originated in France in 1985 (source).
- 250g dates
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup hazelnuts, roasted
- ½ cup sunflower seeds, roasted
- ¼ cup raw cacao
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao (for dusting)
- Soak the dates in hot water for about 5 minutes until mushy.
- Start by blending the nuts and seed in the food processor. Process until very fine. You want a powdery consistency.
- Then remove the dates from water and add the dates and cacao powder to the food processor and blend until you have an even consistency. You will have a gooey consistency, so you might want to scrape the sides using a spoon.
- Prepare a tray with 2 tablespoons cacao powder at the bottom.
- Start making the balls by taking a teaspoon of the dough and rolling it into a ball between the palms of your hands.
- When a ball is ready, place it on top of cacao powder.
- When you make about 10 balls, wash your hands and gently shake the tray to coat all balls in cacao powder. I shaked off the excess cacao from each ball.
- Repeat until you use up all your dough.
- Store in refrigirator until ready to ere. Remove from refrgirator 30 minutsbefore serving to allow them to come at room temperature.