I also made this lovely pumpkin rice recipe this Halloween weekend. The other recipe was this Thai pumpkin soup, in case you missed it.
This pumpkin risotto was a great crowd pleaser, I definitely have pumpkin recipe options now.
Easy and tasty, the picture doesn’t do this dish justice, I don’t have much else to say except that you should try it out :)
- 4 cups white rice (or less for a smaller recipe)
- 600g pumpkin (without seeds and skin)
- 3 tablespoons butter or oil of your choice
- 3 fresh sage stalks or curry plant stalks
- 1 small chorizo sausage
- 1 large red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3 spring onions
- 6 large cloves of garlic
- fresh nutmeg
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- fresh coriander (optional)
- Cook the rice separately and set aside.
- Chop the pumpkin into small pieces and bake for 20 minutes until fork tender. In the meantime chop the onion, garlic, chorizo and spring onions.
- Start the stirfry by placing butter or oil and onion in a pan at medium heat. Add sage or curry plant.
- After 3 minutes add the garlic and stirfry until fragrant.
- Then add the cooked pumpkin, tarragon, chorizo and freshly grated nutmeg and stirfry for a few minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, water, coconut milk. Stirfry gently and add salt and pepper to desired consistency for a further 10 minutes or so.
- Add the spring onions before switching off the heat.
- Remove the curry plant or sage leaves before serving and dress with fresh coriander.