Prinjolata (Carnival Cake)
What is Prinjolata?
It is Carnival weekend in Malta. This calls for Prinjolata which is a Carnival Cake eaten during this time of the year. Sweet shops would be full with this cake during this time of the year. The original cake is full of sugar, butter, flour, cream, nuts and candied fruit.
I tried to make my own healthy version made out of good, clean, unprocessed ingredients. This makes it also gluten free and vegan, perfect for everyone!
The inside of the prinjolata is crumbly, but trust me, try it! Everyone at home is licking the plate! :)
- 200g desiccated coconut
- 160g ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- dash of salt
- zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 50g roasted hazelnuts
- 50g dried cranberries
- 50g tablespoons chocolate drops
- 1/2 cup nut milk (coconut/almond/hazelnut)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 100g creamed coconut
- 100g greek yogurt
- 1/8 cup honey
- 50g chocolate drops
- few crushed hazelnuts or almonds
- 10 fresh cherries
- Blend the coconut in a food processor until powdered. About 4 minutes.
- Then add ground almonds, bicarbonate of soda, lemon zest and blend well.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs, vanilla extract and salt with an egg beater, until soft foam is formed.
- Add egg mixture to blender and blend lightly to incorporate the mixture.
- Place mixture in baking dish and bake in oven at 180°C for about 25 minutes. Toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clear.
- When ready let cool completely.
- Break the cake into small pieces using hands and place in a large bowl.
- Blend cranberries in a food processor. When cranberries are broken add hazelnuts and roughly chop with food processor. Add to the cake mixture and mix well.
- Add the chocolate drops, milk and honey and mix well using a spoon.
- Place the mixture into a breakfast bowl and press with hands to remove any air in between. This will allow the Prinjolata to hold together.
- Place bowl upside down on a plate and remove the bowl. Place in fridge for about 1 hour before covering.
- Mix creamed coconut, greek yogurt and honey in a food processor and blend well.
- Use a flay icing spatula to cover the prinjolata.
- Melt the chocolate in double broiler.
- In the meantime add fresh cherry halves and chopped hazelnuts onto the frosting.
- When chocolate is melted drizzle onto the prinjolata using a spoon.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours for best results and keep refrigerated until serving.
- Happy Carnival!