Since we sometimes get a little bit monotonous with kale, and always make kale chips, I wanted to create something different. Thought about these little pies which are great for a picnic or as a snack.
For the filling
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 3 spring onions
- handful of kale
- 3 slices back bacon
- sea salt
- chilly pepper
For the dough
- 3½ + 2 tablespoons cups almond flour
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons rosemary
- dash of salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Prepare the kale filling. Slice the spring onions and gently tear the kale in small pieces using your hands (picture 1).
- Stir fry the onion in the coconut oil. Add the kale and salt. Stir and fold in chilly spice and bacon. Continue stir frying until kale has wilted (picture 2).
- Preheat the oven at 190°C. Prepare a baking tray with baking sheet and a place a piece of extra baking paper on your workbench/table.
- Prepare the dough by mixing in all the dough ingredients. Fold in with hands, spoon or a food processor.
- Take some of the dough and flatten it out with fingers as in picture 3.
- Use a rolling pin to evenly flatten the dough (picture 4). I found it easier to work the dough separate rather than as a batch. Thus a pie at a time and a little bit more time consuming.
- Turn over the dough as shown in picture 5.
- Take a bowl (I used 5 inch diameter) and press against dough to make a round circle (picture 6). Remove the extra dough and set aside to use for another pie.
- Turn the dough again as in picture 5. Then add some of the kale filling (picture 7). Note that if you overfill the pie, the dough might break as it did with some of my pies. If you do not want this, make less filling.
- Use the baking sheet to help you pull one side of the circle gently onto the other as shown in picture 8.
- Use fingers to close the pies by pressing lightly onto the edges as shown in picture 9.
- Place pies on baking dish and repeat until you have used all the dough. I had some extra dough which I cooked as a cracker as it was not enough for a whole circle.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes, then switch the oven to grill and allow for a further 5 minutes. These pies will cook in few minutes so do not leave unattended. Once starting to turn golden take out of the oven and allow to stand on cooling rack. Dough will have some moisture coming out when in oven, just allow to cool!
Rody's Hearty Corner http://www.rodysheartycorner.com/