This is the best drink I have created so far. It tastes so good and also so is so satisfying. This dairy free almond milk is creamy and very therapeutic to make. You will enjoy doing it!
All you need to do is buy a nylon bag which will be used as a sieve. This bag is also useful to make pumpkin puree or for filtering other food from water.
The remaining almonds were a surprise to me, you’ll see below the recipe what happened.
- 1 cup raw almonds (with skin on)
- 3 pitted dates
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder
- 4 cups water
- Start by soaking the almonds for at least 8 hours in water. Rinse from time to time as you will notice that the water will become unclear. Once ready to make the milk, rinse one final time and remove from water.
- Put the almonds in a liquidiser or food processor together with the water and dates (picture 1).
- Process until the almonds are finely chopped. The water will turn white (picture 2). Add the vanilla powder and blend until the almonds have reached their smallest size possible.
- Take a large bowl, one with a spout would be ideal but don’t worry if you do not have. Take the nylon bag and put inside the bowl. Make sure that no part goes over the edges as otherwise you will waste some of the milk that goes out. Pour the milk inside the nylon bag (picture 3).
- Grab the nylon bag with both hands and start pressing gently so that the milk can flow out (picture 4). This is the fun part so enjoy =).
- When all the liquid comes out the milk is done. Pour into a sterilized glass bottles (picture 5) and store in fridge. Shake the bottle before use.
I called the reaming almonds a good replacement of ‘helwa tat-tork’ as we call it in Maltese which in English is Turk’s sweet or halva. This is a middle eastern dessert. The texture is very similar and the taste too although of course less sweet as it does not have any sugar in it. Just place remaining almonds in a small ramekin, press the mixture using hands and then put the ramekin upside down on a plate and remove.
Alternatively, use the remaining almonds to make these tasty leftover brownies.