You don’t need comfort dishes of baked pasta when you can have equally delicious baked vegetables. This dish is very easy to assemble and is pure comfort food, without giving you the guilt feeling and bloating effect.
Now that the cold weather is kicking in, we found this dish so heart-warming it left us happy and fulfilled. I am pleased to say that this dish is boyfriend approved and was so good that we had this twice this week.
The choice of vegetables can vary depending on what’s in season. I love to mix cauliflower and broccoli, although pumpkin would also be great, especially after all that pumpkin carving!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 head broccoli
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (optional, omit for vegetarian)
- 120g mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground chilli flakes
- salt & pepper
- Pre-heat the oven at medium heat.
- Steam or boil the cauliflower and broccoli for 10 minutes leaving them firm. Remove from the water.
- Cover an oven dish with baking paper and place bite size cauliflower and broccoli florets at the bottom of the dish.
- Spread the scallions and bacon evenly on top of the vegetables.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Then mix the ground almonds, olive oil, spices and seasoning in a small bowl. This will turn into a crumble (like gluten free and grain free breadcrumbs). Sprinkle this crumbly mixture on top of the mozzarella.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes and serve warm.
- This mixture serves roughly 4 people as main course (depends on the size of your broccoli and cauliflower).