Traditionally, I have never been a fan of ketchup. However, this was probably biased by my dislike to processed foods. I must admit that having this healthy, Paleo, homemade ketchup around was a great companion to some barbeque dishes this summer. We did not only use it to accompany barbeque dishes but I also find it convenient to serve in a gluten free wrap with some leftover roast beef. Well, I guess, unlike me, ketchup users will already have their use for this ketchup.
Use healthy ingredients
The recipe is quite simple. I looked for genuine ingredients since I was not doing the tomato puree from scratch. I bought organic products and checked that there were no nasty ingredients in the ingredient list. The tomato puree contained just tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients are one ingredient items :)
- 500g tomato puree (preferably organic or made with 100% tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place all the ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to a boil and then simmer for around 30 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to one month. Always use a clean teaspoon to have your serving. Otherwise, the contents are likely to rot or grow mould.
- You may wish to try this delicious Paleo and gluten free wraps to accompany this recipe http://www.rodysheartycorner.com/garlic-naan-bread/