Beetroot, Lemon and Coconut muffins
I made these muffins for Valentines day. These muffins are sweet but yet guilt free, who wouldn’t want that ? :)
The beetroots do not taste so rest assured these muffins taste sweet and delicious! These muffins have a light fluffy texture but the coconut topping makes them rich and fulfilling. The strawberry is a great fresh addition to the sweet coconut glaze on top.
By the way, these muffins are red before baking but I discovered through several tests that baking beets will turn them brown. Using acid ingredients will help keep the color but I could not make a healthy version with that!
- 3 medium beetroots (265g peeled)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100g coconut creamed
- 100g roasted cashew nuts
- 4 strawberries
- Peel the beetroots and blend them in a food processor until almost pureed scraping the sides from time to time.
- Add the remaining muffin ingredients except eggs to the processor and blend well.
- Add the eggs and lightly process with food processor.
- Place muffin batter in 12 muffin cups and bake in oven for 12-15 minutes. The muffins will cook easily so do not leave unattended.
- In the meantime blend the creamed coconut and cashew nuts in food processor until completely melted. You might need to melt the creamed coconut in Winter. Use double boiler (banju marija) or microwave to do so.
- When muffins cool, dress each muffin with some coconut frosting.
- Add sliced strawberries on top of muffins, refrigerate so that the frosting can hold and voila!