Here is an easy unsweetened apple sauce recipe that you can use in all cake recipes. So far I have failed in finding ready made unsweetened and preservative free apple sauce locally (Malta). As you will see this is super easy to make and totally worth making + you know I love home-made!
- 5 apples
- 1 cinnamon stick or powdered cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves
- Peel, core and dice the apples.
- place in saucepan and cover with drinking water (amount of water should not exceed level of apples in pan). Add spices and boil until fork tender.
- Drain the apples from water immediately removing the cinnamon stick & cloves. Press with a spoon to remove all the excess water.
- Blend the cooked apples with a soup blender until smooth.
- The apple’s excess water can be saved and added to other recipes calling for juice (like smoothies).
- Apple sauce is used in muffins and cakes as a binding ingredient instead of bananas or eggs.